A few weeks ago, I got a craving for the Peanut Butter Pie from a restaurant named Acre in Auburn, Alabama — this pie is literally one of the best desserts I’ve ever had. It has a sweet and creamy peanut butter filling, a chocolate cracker crust and tastes like absolute fluffy, whipped peanut butter chocolate heaven.
Although I don’t think I could ever recreate the magnificent pie that is Acre’s, I had to try, and I’ll be honest — this one was pretty good! I used a combination of two recipes, one from Martha Stewart and one from A Nerd Cooks. See below for the combined version I used and my notes added in. Happy baking!
For the crust:
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 36 chocolate wafer cookies ( I used the whole pack because the crust is one of the best parts, and I think there are 40 in a pack)
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 pinch kosher salt
For the filling:
- 8 oz cream cheese, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar, plus 2 tablespoons, divided
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
For the topping:
- melted chocolate
- mini Reese’s cups, roughly chopped
- peanut butter chips
To make the crust
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. In the bowl of a food processor, pulse the chocolate wafers until finely ground. Combine with the sugar and butter until moistened.
- Press the graham cracker crumb mixture into the bottom and up the sides of a 9-inch pie plate. Bake for about 12 minutes, or until fragrant. Cool the crust completely on a wire rack. (I put mine in the fridge so it would cool faster — does not take long to make the filling)
To make the filling
- In a large bowl, use an electric hand mixer to beat the cream cheese, 3/4 cup powdered sugar, and peanut butter until it is light and fluffy.
- In a separate bowl, use an electric hand mixer to whip the heavy cream until thick and light. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of powdered sugar and vanilla extract and continue to whip until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold the whipped cream into the peanut butter/cream cheese mixture. Pour it into the prepared pie shell and freeze for 3 hours.
To make the topping
- Drizzle the top with melted chocolate. Top with chopped mini Reese’s cups and peanut butter chips. Serve frozen or refrigerated.